Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Little Green Monsters (?) in The Great White North

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Little Green Monsters (?) in The Great White North

    Never heard them called that before--they look to be in nice shape. Anyone know if these are mainly for P.A. or are they good for "hi fi" apps?

    ALTEC "LITTLE GREEN MONSTERS" PAIR MONO AMPS - Canuck Audio Mart
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Little Green Monsters (?) in The Great White North

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    Never heard them called that before--they look to be in nice shape. Anyone know if these are mainly for P.A. or are they good for "hi fi" apps?

    ALTEC "LITTLE GREEN MONSTERS" PAIR MONO AMPS - Canuck Audio Mart
    I beleive they're ok for HiFi. I think they're similar to the pair of 1594A amps that I have....... won't go low, but aren't cut off at the top like I've read the 1590 is. I think Bowtie, or OldGuy was the source of that.

    I think his price is probably OK if a guy really wanted, them, but I don't think they typically bring a lot of money. The ALTEC 15095A plug-in transformers can sell well on ebay for a small item......... $50ish on up, it looks like.

    My 1594A are supposed to be "negative ground" (or was it positive ground?......whatever that means) and therefore people don't seem to want them. I'm not sure if the other "A" amps are that way, or not.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Little Green Monsters (?) in The Great White North

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    I beleive they're ok for HiFi. I think they're similar to the pair of 1594A amps that I have....... won't go low, but aren't cut off at the top like I've read the 1590 is. I think Bowtie, or OldGuy was the source of that.

    I think his price is probably OK if a guy really wanted, them, but I don't think they typically bring a lot of money. The ALTEC 15095A plug-in transformers can sell well on ebay for a small item......... $50ish on up, it looks like.

    My 1594A are supposed to be "negative ground" (whatever that means) and therefore people don't seem to want them. I'm not sure if the other "A" amps are that way, or not.
    Thanks for the info--hopefully there's a little "wiggle room" with the price.....
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Little Green Monsters (?) in The Great White North

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    Thanks for the info--hopefully there's a little "wiggle room" with the price.....
    I'm not sure you'd need those transformers unless you were running a microphone.......... you could probably sell them and get almost half of $350 back. I think you'd still be on the high side, but not ridiculous....... unless they're in poor shape. I haven't looked on ebay for the 1593 (any version). You might check prices there, first. You could probably get a 9444A for less, and if you're patient less than the $350 minus the sale price of the transformers.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Little Green Monsters (?) in The Great White North


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Little Green Monsters (?) in The Great White North

    He's pretty high. Typical is more like 100 each from the ones I have seen. They sound good but do roll in the extreme low...but not an issue with subs.

    This pair just sold on eBay for 100 a PAIR.
    PAIR OF ALTEC 1593B 1593-B AMPLIFIERS WITH PEERLESS 16739 & 7218 TRANSFORMERS | eBay
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Little Green Monsters (?) in The Great White North

    Two issues in making the comparison, Though. The ebay amps are Bs and the Canadian pair are As. Plus the Canadian pair of the plug in transformers that are worth money all by themselves. In the ebay auction the seller is just quoting the transformer numbers from power and output transformers, not a plug-in.

    Does the $100 each that you mention typically include 15095A plugin transformers?


    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    He's pretty high. Typical is more like 100 each from the ones I have seen. They sound good but do roll in the extreme low...but not an issue with subs.

    This pair just sold on eBay for 100 a PAIR.
    PAIR OF ALTEC 1593B 1593-B AMPLIFIERS WITH PEERLESS 16739 & 7218 TRANSFORMERS | eBay
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.